Municipal income tax returns and payments for tax year 2019 with a due date of April 15, 2020 have been extended to July 15, 2020. Estimated payments for the first and second quarters of tax year 2020 have also been extended to July 15, 2020. The extended filing and payment dates apply to individual taxpayer filings and payments as well as business net profit filings and payments, but do not apply to employer withholding.
No request for extension or other filing is required to receive these extensions.
No late filing or late payment penalties, or interest, will be imposed for the period of April 15, 2020 through July 15, 2020 for these extended filings and payments.
All Kent residents 18 years or older MUST file a City of Kent income tax return, even if no tax is owed. Persons who are retired need to file a final return and write “retired” on it. No further returns will be due unless the retiree returns to work. Income tax returns are due (must be postmarked on or by) Wednesday, July 15th, 2020. Returns received after July 15th will be considered late and may be subject to a penalty, even if no tax is due. “Resident” is defined as an individual whose legal residence is in Kent or who lived in Kent for 30 days or more in any 90-day period during the 2019 calendar year.
The following people MUST file income tax returns and pay any tax due, even if they are non-residents:
- Persons who own rental property in Kent
- Persons who operate a business in Kent
- Real estate agents who work for brokers in Kent, even if they sold no property in Kent
- Anyone who receives salary, wages, commissions, or other compensation for work done or services rendered in Kent, if the full amount of Kent’s 2.25% income tax has not been withheld from that compensation.
Certain types of income are not taxable. These types include.
- Interest, Dividends, Active military pay, Pensions, Social security, Workers compensation, Unemployment benefits, Welfare payments, Medicare
To file your City of Kent return with the Regional Income Tax Agency (RITA) for Residents and Businesses, RITA has the following FREE online services. RITA E-File: A quick, easy and secure way to file your municipal income taxes online with RITA
If you have any questions please call the City of Kent Income Tax Division at 330.678.8103.